Friday 25 August 2017

Tips to Fight off Plaque

There are many articles on dental hygiene and so many people who always say the same thing.  I am going to be 100% honest. I am many decades old, and have never had a cavity.  This is baffling to some because I actually only brush once a day.  Maybe one or two times a week I will add an extra brush but this is my honest normal routine.  So the fact that I have straight teeth is most likely genetic, but as far as keeping them healthy is a little less simple.  Now I am not a professional and I suggest you due as your Dentist tells you.  I wish I brushed my teeth more and flossed regularly, but I simply don't.  So I want to go over a few ways to fight off plaque by maybe being a little less traditional in my advice.

The first thing to know about how I fight off cavities and the buildup of plaque is with my diet.  Now I am also not the most in shape person either.  Yes, I am probably thirty pounds overweight, but I do workout and have some muscle tone.  So I work on my dental health by eating a diet that I think is a little bit more healthy.  My family tries to stay away from sugar and highly acidic foods that can damage your enamel.  This why I think my teeth have staid pretty healthy. Now, I do eat ice cream and cookies on the regular, but most likely it is about once a week.  I think this helps keep my sugar content down just by not snacking a ton on sugary things. 

 

But another area that I also try to stay away from is carbs.  Carbs are basically sugar and when bread gets stuck on your teeth the plaque does start to buildup and your teeth do decay faster.  This is why extra brushing and flossing is best.  But I actually try my darndest do stay away from bread except on social occasions.  So if I am eating out, a good burger and bun is going to happen.  But if I am home I try to be more carb friendly and that is also healthy in several other ways for my body.  For my teeth I know it is a big help because they have less food attacking them and decaying them.  I believe that since it is less sugar going into my mouth that it is helping to protect my teeth.

 

Another big area to watch out for is sugary and acidic drinks. This area I do struggle with because I love Mt. Dew and Coke.  It is certainly the bain of my teeth and I usually end up drinking a soda a week.  I wish I could do better, but I simply love the flavor.  Still this is a lot less than many of my friends and family and I think the lack of sugar that I drink helps my teeth as well.  I am pretty sure that it keeps my cavities away.

 

Now I also take vitamins and try to build up the most enamel that I can while my body will still allow it to grow.  Magnesium and Zink are a joint vitamin that I take everyday. Now the human body will stop growing enamel I think around 50 or maybe a little less so I intend to keep these vitamins up while I am able to.  So I hope this helps you on your journey!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tips to Fight off Plaque

There are many articles on dental hygiene and so many people who always say the same thing.  I am going to be 100% honest. I am many decade...